Saturday, November 1, 2008

Brooks Field Trip

B asked me if I would be one of the chaperone's on her 3rd grade field trip last week. I try to go on all of them with her. Its fun to go and be with her and the kids that she associates with at school. It helps me put faces to the names I hear throughout the school year. Plus its just more time I get to be one on one with Brooklyn. Julie was kind enough to keep T and T for me. I was happy to go and even happier that B wanted me there but man, it was a bit boring. They cant do field trips any more unless they are educational. We went to the Riparian Reserve which is right there on Guadalupe and Greenfield. I have driven past it a million times and never knew what it was. At least now I can quit wondering what it is. B and ToniAnn Bluth

Basically the purpose of the reserve is to recycle water in Gilbert. We learned that there are 25 of the reservoirs in Gilbert alone. They process the water with chemicals and then release it into these basins which then allow the water to seep back into the earth. The action further purifies the water and then they suck it back up and fill up ponds at parks and use it for sprinklers and what not in Gilbert. Seriously, that was the entire point of the trip. We learned a few other things but that was it. School these days is not the same as when I was in elementary school. Everything they teach and do is strictly to prepare these kids to pass the Aims test. I kinda feel bad for B sometimes but I'm sure that she will be a ton smarter than I am because of how far they are pushed as students. I have nothing wrong with her learning at a higher level but I also want her to enjoy it and have fun. Heck there are days that I cant even figure out her homework. I assumed I would still be able to do 3rd grade math but I have been stumped a few times already. I am lucky that she is such a good kid and student. She for the most part doesn't need my help and does great. She works so hard and it is paying off.







1 comment:

Kippy said...

come on, you can't fool me. i know mr. purdy taught you some stellar math skills you can pass down to brooks! she is so cute.