Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Dunes Again.....

I would have to say this is the theme picture to our trip. WHAT IN THE H IS WRONG WITH THIS THING!!!!


This trip was quite a bit different from the rest. The Porters, Butlers and us left after we got B off to school on Fri morning. Brad and Ashley got there about 4pm or so. Mom kept Tylee so that I would have enough room in my rhino for Ash. I will have to admit it was kinda nice not worrying about her out there. We ended up at camp a ton this trip and she would have been a bear to try and keep contained. As we were heading out on our first ride Chad realized his bike was leaking coolant. We took some with us so he could keep it full as we rode. About half way to the hill I realized my rhino was acting a bit strange. It kept backfiring and then stalling. It started back up a few times so while it was running we decided to head back to camp and figure out what the problem was. We changed the fuel filter and got it to start back up and it seemed to be running fine. In the mean time Brad got there and we headed over to Gordons Well side to ride and then go to the drags. The rhino had other plans. We got back in the dunes a ways and it stalled and was done. Julie had to tow me back to camp with her rhino. By this time most of the day had already been wasted on trying to diagnose the problem and we were done for the night. Poor Julie and Brandon got stuck at camp with all of our stuff and we all headed in to Yuma to eat and go to the hotel. After dinner we went to Target and got Ashley a swim suit. I was feeling bad since they didnt have a ton of fun riding. I though they would have fun swimming. It doesnt matter if the water is warm if its 45 degrees out. I was freezing but Tate and Ashley had a ton of fun. Thanks Brad for keeping me company. I think it was about 11 ish when we finally went back to our rooms. I got Tate bathed and he was out rather fast. I on the other hand sat in the bath and read for about an hour. We got going the next morning pretty late. The guys left early so they could go on a morning ride. Good thing Brandon has 2 bikes or Chad may not have been able to ride. I wasnt all that excited to get back and sit there. I figured I needed my sleep more than sitting around. We got out there about 11. Chad went into Yuma and got a fuel pump which after a while of tinkering with seemed to work. We loaded up and were going to go on a LONG ride since we had hardly ridden at that point. We didnt get far. The pump was now working but everytime it stalled the filter was clogged with little black bugs. Nice huh!! Chad and I decided to just wait at the drags while everyone else went out on a ride. After a while they headed back with Jessicas quad having problems. Who knows maybe it wasnt meant to be? The drags are complete choas the entire time. It was kind of amazing to see everything else stop and they had a Presidents Day tribute. A ton of sand rails with American Flags all lined up and went down the drags in a single file line. It was pretty cool. When the finished and the craziness was back on we headed back to camp, this time towing Jessicas bike. My rhino did great the entire way back so I am crossing my fingers that all the bugs are out, literally. Despite the Cummards not having anything that wanted to work down there we had a ton of fun as usual. I guess thats what happens when you love everyone in the group.


I brought our little sled that we had at the snow and we pulled the kids around on that thing. I think Tate had more fun with that than he does riding. He is still scared from rolling. Im hoping he recovers from that becasue it gets a bit nerve racking when he is yelling at me the entire time as I drive. After Julie so bravely jumped on the sled we all figured we needed to give it a whirl. Im not sure what the kids enjoyed so much, but I was glad we had it to entertain them since we werent riding. Brandon and Dave were so awesome to work on the rhino and get it back up and running. I am pretty sure they spent more time working on stuff than riding but we really appreciated the hard work. I am already wanting to go again since I didnt get my fix this time. Hopefully we will get invited!!! They may just want to leave us problematic people behind :).

2 comments:

Summer said...

SO FUN! I am so sad that I couldn't make it. I know I wouldn't be able to keep up - Brad says the Rhino riders are pretty hardcore now...SCARY! B-Rad said it was awesome despite all the toy trouble. Ashley still talks about sand sledding! Thank you so much for taking care of my two kids! I know Ash LOVES her auntie Laura - and your whole fam so much! She thinks the Dunes are fantastic! Hopefully one day we'll be back on the dirt diva road again! It's so fun! Glad that Brad & Ash still get to experience it!!

Julie Butler said...

Despite all the "bugs" we still had a great time. It is such a fun group to go with. The boys had a blast nite on the track. Thanks for a fun time.