Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Girls Camp

Super Model of the Believers
I had the opportunity of being ask to help out at our stake girls camp this year. It was up at Camp Lomia in Pine. I was a bit nervous when I was asked to help because I was unsure of what exactly my role was. They asked me to be in charge of the hikes and the Bishops Challenge which they consider to go along with my stake athletic calling. With much thought and prayer I was able to get a handle of what was needed from me. Even though I could have passed on this calling due to being in scouts as well I am so glad I didn't. I am certain it was every bit as rewarding for me as it was the girls. I do not remember much at all about my camp experiences when I was a girl, but these memories now are cemented! I loved every minute of being there. The weather was amazing. It was a tad chilly at night but I ended up going to the cabin so the cold didn't bother me a bit. Apparently Brook and Randa were not to bothered by the cold either. Saturday was my big day. All of the bishops from the wards came up to compete against the other wards. It turned out great and I had prepared for just about every hitch I could possibly think of. It was a little stressful getting it all set up and ready but with help from Bro. Crookston and Lewis it came together and was a success in my book. I have to say a huge THANKS to Summer for helping me get these signs put together. It took me till the last minute to get them done and I am grateful she was willing to help me buckle down. She is so creative and good at this stuff! Thanks to Chad who is dad of the year and didn't complain about keeping the kids as I worked at getting this done and while I was gone. Mom you were also so helpful and made me realize I could actually do this and it would be good. Amber kept my kids on Thurs as well and that was much appreciated. I am so lucky to have the family and support system that I do.Watermelon Hunt and Seed spitting contest-
Sat night was skit night. The stake staff had a skit written by Brooke that was so funny. I was asked to be barbie in this skit and was so not sure I could do it. I'm typically not a dresser upper but Amanda Crookston brought some nice dresses to choose from and some hot pink pumps that were about 2 sizes to small. All I could think of is how proud Megan would be of me:) Anyhow it was seriously funny and Randa and I had so much fun laughing at ourselves. I had to practice trying to talk a little higher so I didn't sound like a Ken barbie. These were the cook barbies.
These girls were the camping barbies. Every time I think of them trying to do the actions with heir stiff arms, to the song sing out your glory, glory I start laughing. These were the Malibu Barbies, and were hilarious as well.Dancing Kens- they were the hit for sure. These were the cooks for the weekend and aren't I so grateful they were there. It didn't seem to far from home when I could go to the back door and get a soda in a styrofoam cup:)Here are Randa and I after our big debut in a Brooke Tuttle original. I learned that sometimes being out of my comfort zone isn't always so scary. It was actually fun and memories were made by doing so. I am forever grateful I was able to be up there at camp. I have come away from it feeling like I want to try harder and be better in all I do. I hope the girls walked away feeling as edified and uplifted as I did. Till next year I HOPE...........................

3 comments:

Summer said...

Looks like a fabulous time! Looks like the games went off well. Glad to see the signs made it in one piece...hope you didn't have to use too much glue when you got there...lol! I was glad to help - anytime!! You got to hang with Brook...LUCKY!! Those Brown girls are rockin' - and HILARIOUS! She styled you up nice - you're looking hot!

Amanda C said...

I love it. You were the best Barbie ever! Let me know if you ever need to borrow my dress again:)

Hess Fam said...

Yes ma'am. I am one proud friend. And before I even read that was Amanda's dress...I knew it was. I hope she told you she won 'best dressed' when she wore that number to a costume party!
I'm glad you had a great experience. It looks like so much fun!
Oh...and I'm totally jealous of your LP trip.
AND...Happy {late} Birthday!